"For God did not give you a spirit of fear, but of POWER, LOVE and a SOUND MIND!" 2 Timothy 1:7

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Trust Me....Don't Let Go...Hold On.


Trust Me....Don't Let Go...Hold On...a BRIEF look into Habakkuk


We have all been there. Maybe you are there now. That time in your life where you cry out to God and the Universe "Why!!!???!!!" Why do bad people get to do bad things to good people? Why do good people have to suffer? Why to bad people get the rewards? When will it be my time? When will life be fair for me? Will I ever catch a break???

How long, LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen?” ~Habakkuk 1:2

Valid questions, I think. Heaven knows I have been known to cry out those same things. During those times, it feels like I have been wrestling with what I know and what I feel. My faith versus my flesh. My heart versus my mind.

I am human. I have doubts. I have anger and I have sadness. But, those aren't the only emotions that I have. I have happiness, I have accomplishment, I have forgiveness.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” ~Galatians 5:22-23

Sometimes, there are days where I forget about the Fruit of the Spirit and in turn, I feel more like Habakkuk surrounded by Job's friends. I think we all feel like Habakkuk. Many don't know who he (Habakkuk) is but I guarantee everyone can relate to them. You don't have to be a Christian to relate to this man...it's like we are walking in his shoes.

Habakkuk was a minor prophet. He was a man that God chose to speak to. Many people have no idea who he is or even care. After all, how good can he be...he only has 3 chapters in the bible. However, from what I learned today, those 3 chapters speak loudly to me.

His story is simple. He was a man with a lot of questions...directed specifically towards God. Not simple happy questions either...He was frustrated and angry. He was living in a time, much like ours today, where bad things happened to good people, where it seemed like the evildoers were the ones reaping the reward. Everyone was getting blessed but him. "Why God, I am a believer, I do what you say, yet Life keeps beating me up!!" "When will I catch a break??"

" Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrongdoing? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. " ~Habakkuk 1:3

Sound familiar? Well, God answers him back...they have this great dialogue that we can all relate to over the next 2 chapters. The fact of the matter is, Life isn't fair. It never will be.

We all have to endure hard times and good times. I think it's ok to cry out to God and to take our anger and frustrations to Him. In fact, I think I talk more to God when I am feeling those things than when things are going well. But, at the same time, I also make the choice to allow Him to comfort me. To get me through the times when I am to weak to make it.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” ~Philippians 4:13

Yes, I always push through, even when I would rather wallow in self pity. BUT, it's at those times I am closest to God because it is those times that He shows me just how wonderful He can be if I keep the faith, if I hold on and don't let go..

That was how God answered Habakkuk's questions. 

Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days  that you would not believe,  even if you were told.". ~Habakkuk 1:5

 In the end, despite his questions and his human feelings, Habakkuk did trust God. He did hold on and he did not let go. He encourages me to move from doubt back to faith.

Life is not a bowl of cherries or a sweet cup of tea. Life has hills, valleys, sunshine and tornados...but, they all pass. They all teach us and build our character and yes, there are times where I wish God would give me a break from character building. But, in the end, the truth is, once I am through the fire and the darkness and see the light, things are brighter, tastier, sweeter, and more loving than ever before. I have so much to be thankful for and it feels like my cup is truly running over! Praise His name!! God is good and He is just!!!

So, if you feel life is unfair, read the book of Habakkuk


yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. 19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength; “ ~Habakkuk 3:19-19

Hold on, Don’t let go….Trust God and let Him work in your life! Thank Him for being faithful and constant! Amen

~de

No comments:

Post a Comment