"For God did not give you a spirit of fear, but of POWER, LOVE and a SOUND MIND!" 2 Timothy 1:7

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Taking a day off from life…..



Really, it’s not that bad…but sometimes, life can get really overwhelming. I’m a fighter and I am usually pretty good about not letting things get to me, but even I have my limits and I have to admit there are times where I just want to pretend I am ostrich  and hide my head in the sand. 

But, as I am gazing out into my hard, looking for the perfect place to dig a hole for my head, I am reminded of others that had a rough patch. 

I am lead to the book of Job. Talk about a man who had a bad day….This man lost his home, his lands, his animals, his wife, his family….and if that wasn’t enough, Job got sick to the point where he had sores all over his body. In the midst of this, his wife tells him
9 His wife said to him, “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!Job 2:9 (NIV) but Job replies to her “10 He replied, “You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” Job 2:10 (NIV)

…Shall we accept good from God and not trouble! Wow, how that spoke to my heart. As you read on about my friend Job, you’ll find that things proceed to get even worse for him. His friends judged him, claiming he had brought all his troubles upon himself and he was in pain and definitely suffering. Although Job has strong faith, he took his frustrations, fears and anger to God. He laid them at His feat and cried out to him. He questioned everything that was happening in his life and he questioned God. 

How easy would it have been for Job to just bury his head in the sand? How easy would it have been for him to just give up. But, he didn’t. He stayed strong in his faith and woke up each day to face the day head on.

 12 The LORD blessed the latter part of Job’s life more than the former part.Job 42:10 (NIV)

Job received the Lord’s promise of blessing. Job trusted God and God rewarded him. I don’t expect the Lord to reward me with rich’s and gold and such. God has already blessed me with family and friends and health and many more things….But, I do know that from this story, no matter what happens, no matter how hard life gets, I have a God who loves me and believes in me! 

Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.Psalm 105:4 (NIV)
He restores my soulPsalm 23:3a (NIV)

I look to God for strength and help. He is always at work and always nearby. So, for today, the hole in the backyard will have to wait and my dreams of mimicking the ostrich and sticking my head in the sand will have to stand aside. Today, I will hold my head up high and face anything that life sends my way with confidence and peace that I can only get from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment